Compelling images move people. Marketers and creatives have known this for a long time and rely on strong visuals as a foundational element of brand storytelling. They also rely on dependable, easy-to-access tools, so they can spend more time crafting the story itself and less on a cumbersome process.
If you’ve ever managed digital photos you already know many of the challenges. Like how organizing hundreds or thousands of photos can quickly get out of control. How time-consuming it is to search endlessly for the right photo. Or how risky it can be to use a photo that you may or may not still have permission to use. The bottom line is ⏤ if you want to make your brand story more effective, you can’t afford to compromise on managing your assets. You need a robust photo management software solution.
What is a photo management software?
Photo management software is a dynamic tool that allows you to organize, search, share, and govern your photo library from a central location. Organizations big and small use photo management software to drive marketing and sales efforts through increased confidence in photo usage, reduced time spent searching for photos, and better control over digital photography assets.
Why you need a photo management software?
Whenever you start looking for the best photo library for your business, it is important to set up some criteria for your choice, which will help to define the solution most suited for your business needs.
Which criteria to follow should be determined by the specificity of your business needs. As a start you can use the ones listed below:
- Cloud-based storage — Software that uses the cloud gives you the option to view your photos anywhere and anytime as long as you have an internet connection. Additionally, using the cloud will provide breathing room for your hard drive since your photos won’t be taking up space. You can either get unlimited, hundreds of gigabytes or even a terabyte of storage for a cheap price. Cloud-based photo management also makes it easier to share your content with specific individuals, groups, over social media and invite others to share with you.
- Easy navigation — If a client wants to purchase a particular image a year after one of your photographers did the shoot, how will you find the images? Or, if you need to submit a few nature photos for a competition, you should have a proper system to locate them. Whether you are just organizing your photos by adding keywords, tags, stars, or color codes; you need to know what works best for you. And you should be familiar with the system to use it efficiently when a good opportunity knocks on your door.
- Organization and Easy Retrieval — Photo management has one essential task: categorize photos and make them easy to find. Most solutions provide tagging and categorization functions based on location, date, subject, or trip, so you can store thousands of photos and still find them quickly. Eliminating duplicate images is another important function. Most programs — even free ones — can help you clean up redundant images saved as TIFF or JPGs. For raw images, you may need to invest in a special program designed for that purpose.
- Making Use of Metadata — Metadata is a data set that describes an image. It is embedded with an image file so it can be used in any format by other software, hardware, and end users. The user can enter data and information into the image file manually, or a computer or scanner can capture it automatically.
Compare and contrast available photo organization tools for small business
Choosing the best photo organizing software requires intimate knowledge of different systems. Understand which software will benefit your business most by learning the differences between them. Here are the five best photo organizing software systems according to the user reviews and all the details you need to know about each one in order to find the best fit for your company.
As you can see from this short comparison, most popular photo management tools have good sharing and editing features, as well as easy categorization and tagging of images. At the same time, the limited capacity and security are marked as their major drawbacks. The other important feature is collaboration. Some products such as Google Photos and Photos work well for personal or family usage, but are not quite convenient for teams with 5+ members, as well as photo management on 1000+ assets is not very effective.
Pics.io DAM software for photos organization — best solution for business
At this moment DAM solution comes into place solving all the drawbacks of the popular photo organizing software. The benefits of using a DAM platform as your photo management system add up quickly, and so do the pains of not having one. As your business grows, your photo library will only continue to expand. Without a solution in place, frustration can quickly set in. So, when it comes to getting a system in place to manage your files, the sooner the better.
Combining efficient collaboration with full security of your assets Pics.io enterprise photo management tool becomes your best partner.
- Pics.io works on top of Google Drive, hence offers an unlimited storage for your company’s images.
- With Pics.io solution you facilitate collaboration within your company and external partners.
- You can set up various permissions on your assets to the people and teams within your organization who need to use them.
- You can also hide your assets from certain people or make your own secure space within the system using Lightboards functionality.
- Advanced keywords and metadata features simplifies the navigation across 1000+ assets.
Finally, your Pics.io digital photo storage supports various file formats and has easy integration with other services Slack, Adobe Illustrator, and more of the tools you use every day.
If you liked this article give as a 👏and share it with your friends who look for the best photo management software to satisfy their business needs. If you know other good photo organizing tools that you use in your everyday work please share your ideas in comments.